198282_large

The Great War, Spring Novelties and Strippers – all on 26 September, 1914

AAA_ME Banner

Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of this time in 1914, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:

SPRING NOVELTIES – Our Queen-st. milliner, Miss Clements, left for Sydney on Monday last to purchase her spring stock. Her patrons should therefore be on the watch for the arrival of the new shipment, as it is Miss Clements’ intention to return with the very latest and daintiest of pretties for our lady friends.     26/9/1914

Millinery of the tie. I wonder if    bought these back to Moruya?

Millinery of the tie. I wonder if Miss Clements brought these back to Moruya?

Marshall Joffre of France

Marshall Joffre of France

WAR GUIDE – The average man who eagerly reads the war cables is constantly puzzled by such queries as “What is an Army Corps?” “Who is Joffre?” “How is an Army Formed?” “Which Nation Owns the Most Airships?” “Who Leads the Great Armies?” etc.

“Life” magazine has just issued the first sixpenny number of “Life War Guide” – a new and excellent war publication – in which hundreds of queries such as the above are clearly and accurately answered. These many answers to was queries are supplemented by a number of special articles – notable two by Dr. W.H. Fitchett, entitled “The Strategy of the Great War,” and “How the Great War Began.” If 2/4 in stamps or postal note is sent to 382 Swanston Street, Melbourne, the first four numbers of “Life’s War Guide” will be sent by post to any address immediately they are published.   26/9/1914

JAPANESE FAIR – The Japanese Fair which takes place next week in the Centennial Hall, in aid of the Church of England, promises to be something unique for Moruya and quite out of the ordinary type of bazaar. No trouble or expense is being spared to make it attractive and give patrons something to see for their money. The whole of the hall will be arranged to represent a Japanese fair with decorations of wisteria, peach blossoms, iris and other distinct Japanese flowers. All the stall-holders will wear the complete Japanese national costume in colors to match the flowers of Japan. The whole effect will be very pleasing to the eye. All the usual articles will be displayed on the stalls. Special attention is being given to side shows. There will be a penny-shining competition, nail-driving, hat-trimming, etc., also a hoop-la stall and a ring-o-let gallery, and a specially constructed trelee shooting gallery. Mrs. Jarley’s wax works will be staged each evening for the amusement of patrons. A troupe of people are being trained to represent the wax figures and much amusement will be afforded by the humorous “burlesque.” Admission will be 1s, children half price, season ticket 2s 6d. Messrs. R. Somerset and I.S. Wilson are the secretaries.   26/9/1914

WANTED  – BARK STRIPPERS  Only large trees to be stripped. THE BUCKENBOURA WATTLE BARK CO., LTD.   J VIDER, Estate Manager.

198282_large

Three men with a wagon load of wattle bark. The load was 3 tons and was worth 11 pounds per ton. Wattle bark was used in the tanning industry. Acknowledgement: The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum Victoria

LECTURE – On Wednesday night a lecture was delivered by Mr. Massie, Government Veterinary Officer, in the Mechanics’ Hall under the auspices of the Agricultural Bureau. The subject treated was pigs, and the vet gave a fairly general routine of the management and care of the pig, and then dealt with the various diseases to which they are subject, the most common being paralysis in the hind limbs, kidney worms, and pneumonia. He clearly pointed out the different symptoms of disease in plain and simple words, and gave instructions for treatment… 26/9/1914

Fifteen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1912 are available ($5 ea) from the society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Pioneer Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (mdhs.org.au).

Battery2

Moruya’s Racing Reverends and other news from 19 September, 1914

Blog_Jan14Header
Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of this time in 1914, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:

PUBLIC BATHS – We understand that the Council has secured the right from the Government to erect public baths in the River near the Hospital, but so far there is no sign of a start being made with their erection, notwithstanding the fact that the summer is right upon us. Now, Councillor Flood, shake things up in this connection and give your constituents a chance of priding themselves on being cleanly. If not, perhaps it would be as well for the public to collect sufficient funds and assist Mr. McCauley in repairing his baths. 19/9/1914

SOME OF the Moruya sports express a desire to back our Presbyterian clergyman, the Rev. G. A. McDonald, ye ken, against the Very Rev. Father Cassidy for a motor car race to the Bay and back. 19/9/1914

Pres Church

Rev G.A.McDonald’s Presbyterian Church, Evans Street, Moruya

Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 9.08.20 amNYAL’S HUSKEYS give magical relief for huskey voice, coughs and sore throats. Excellent for singers.
1s per box (very palatable) at Weatherby’s. 19/9/1914

DAIRY FACTORY – During the period, 23rd June to 31st July, 24901 gallons, equalling 24442 standard gallons of milk were delivered at Moruya factory. During August 1700 cheese, weighing 2407lbs, were shipped. The amount paid to suppliers at the rate of 7 ¼ d per standard gallon was £783 6s 8d. 19/9/1914

The opening of the Moruya Cheese Factory, 1898

The opening of the Moruya Cheese Factory, 1898

Colours of the 1st Battalion Royal New South Wales Regiment

Colours of the 1st Battalion Royal New South Wales Regiment

WAR NOTES – The new N.S.W. Infantry Brigade will be commanded by Colonel John Monash, the best of the Victorian Militia Brigadiers. Colonel Monash has been acting deputy-chief censor since Colonel M’Cay’s appointment as Brigadier in the First Imperial Force. 19/9/1914

MINING – Notwithstanding the fact that nearly every other consideration has been almost completely overshadowed by the war, there are certain matters of so momentous an interest, not only to the State, but more particularly to struggling districts and towns in the bush, that we should not allow them to be overlooked entirely.

If we intend to keep Moruya a solvent district when Government grants fail us, and timber cheques dwindle down to diminutive figures we must unitedly put our shoulders to the wheel and give it sufficient velocity to push our neglected mining industry into the position of prominence which it is destined and long since should have occupied.

The “Examiner” has, times without number, advocated the establishment of Government batteries at different points along our auriferous belt of country extending from Donkey Hill, at the back of town, right through Bumbo and Nerrigundah, to Cadgee and Tinpot, and the sinking of deep shafts by the Government on promising reefs abandoned by struggling miners through want of capital. This latter proposition should be strenuously supported by our miners. Now Joseph Jessop and you other expert miners of the once golden Valley, Nerrigundah, get to the Government through your member, and with the “Examiner” behind you success will eventually crown our united efforts and our hills and valleys will once more resound with the cheery song and merry laugh of a prosperous mining community. 19/9/1914

Abandoned battery at Coman's Mine, Nerrigundah

Abandoned battery at Coman’s Mine, Nerrigundah

Sixteen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1913 are available ($5 ea) from the society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Pioneer Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (mdhs.org.au).

court

Ploughing Matches, Elections and Proclamations from 12 September, 1914

Blog_Jan14Header
Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of this time in 1914, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:

PLOUGHING MATCH AND SPORTS– The A. and P. Society’s annual ploughing match and sports were held on Wednesday last on Messrs. Ryan Bros.’ paddock at Mynora. The attendance was unusually large and must have doubled that at any of the Society’s previous functions of a similar nature. The working committee had everything in apple-pie order. A large tent was erected on the ground provided with excellent refreshments, the wives and other lady friends of the Society assiduously attending to same.

Miss Polly Bishop did a good business in a fruit and lolly stall. Mr. McKeon had a publican’s booth on the ground which was well patronised, and no doubt will have the effect of inducing friend “Mac” to seek a transfer of his license on future occasions. The President, Mr. Hutchison, and the working committee worked hard, and had the satisfaction of carrying the big day’s programme through without a hitch.

There was keen competition for a ploughing match, and when the judges decided the first prize in favour of Mr. Josiah Taylor, the veteran ploughman of Kiora, there was great cheering amongst the onlookers. The second prize was secured by Mr. J. Latta, of Milton, his ploughing having been done by a team of four bullocks. Mr. E. Keating was awarded third prize, Mr. Duncan, Eurobodalla, getting fourth. There was six stud horses on the ground, all of which were minutely scrutinised by horse breeders… 12/9/1914

Ploughing Match from the Powerhouse Collection

Ploughing Match from the Powerhouse Collection

RECITAL – The members of St. John’s choir will give a recital of sacred music in the church on Friday night Sept 18th. The music will include anthems, sacred solos, quartettes and duets, and as the choir now comprises about 40 voices and has been diligently practising for some weeks lovers of good music should have a musical treat. A collection will be taken up in aid of the choir funds. 12/9/1914

Andrew Fisher became Australia's Prime Minister in the September 1914 election

Andrew Fisher became Australia’s Prime Minister in the September 1914 election

FEDERAL ELECTION – The Elections for Federal Representatives and Senate passed off very quietly as far as Moruya was concerned on Saturday last. The Court House was petitioned off and the business of both booths conducted therein. Mr. G. Walter, local Post Master, had charge of No 1, with Mr. H.E. Simpson as Poll Clerk, whilst Mr. T. Walter officiated as Deputy Returning Officer in No 2 division having Mr. H. Hancock as his Poll Clerk.

The Examiner wishes to thank the officials for their courtesy in supplying returns, and also the Telegraph Department for the prompt attention to our press wires. Following are the numbers returned for the House of Reps.: – New South Wales – Labor 13, Liberal 14. Victoria – Labor 12, Liberal 8, Independent 1. South Australia – Labor 4, Liberal 3. Queensland – Labor 7, Liberal 3. West Australia – Labor 2, Liberal 3. Tasmania – Labor 3, Liberal 2.

The Senate is almost entirely composed of Laborites. 12/9/1914

Moruya Court House where the voting for the 1914 federal election took place

Moruya Court House where the voting for the 1914 federal election took place

TELEGRAPHIC NEWS (From our Sydney Correspondent) – Thursday 10 A.M. – A Royal proclamation has been issued, which forbids to pay money or entering into commercial, financial or other contracts which might benefit the enemy. 12/9/1914

Sixteen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1913 are available ($5 ea) from the society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Pioneer Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (mdhs.org.au).

Vulcan Styreet(looking north ) with Mr McKeon's Commercial Hotel on the site of the current Monarch Hotel.

What exactly did Mr Stubb say to Mr Russell? – August 5, 1914

Blog_Jan14Header
Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of this time in 1914, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:

George Henry James owner of Lynwood in 19130001

Mr George Henry James, owner of the new Maxwell automobile. The garage that he stored the car in still stands today.

NEW CAR – Mr. G.H. James, our “All-alive” little townsman has invested in a new 25 h.p., four-cylinder, family touring Maxwell motor can. In trade parlances this car is a “real automobile”. It has a five passenger capacity, of light, yet strong construction, economical in up-keep, because of the excellent quality of the workmanship and material. We compliment Mr. James on his taste and superior judgement. 5/9/1914

PLOUGHING MATCH AND SPORTS – We desire to invite the special attention of every member of the community to the A. and P. Society’s annual ploughing match and sports carnival set down for decision on Wednesday next on Ryan’s paddock, Mynora. We understand that there will be keen competition amongst many expert ploughmen for the eight separate prizes offered by the Society. Independent of the ploughing match the A. and P. Society has drafted a nice programme of interesting and exciting horse and pony events, besides a prize for the best gent’s hackney and one for the best sulky turnout. Apart from the attractions above offered and the duty devolving on the public to assist by every means in their power their Agricultural and Pastoral Society, there is another important consideration which should greatly influence the patronage of old and young, viz., the allocation of the proceeds, the committee having generously agreed to donate half the profits to the Red Cross Society, which is working heart and soul to assist our warriors going to the front in the most terrible war the world has ever known. Everyone should show their patriotism by being present. Refreshments will be in abundance on the ground. A grand ball will take place in the Centennial Hall at night in connection with the same object.   5/9/1914

Screen Shot 2014-09-06 at 7.23.30 pm

A sample of the stirringly patriotic newspaper text that was being read by Australians 100 years ago

BATEMAN’S BAY (From our Correspondent). – The only topic of conversation of any interest to the Bay people now is war. The telegrams of the “Examiner” are more eagerly sought after daily than the butcher or the baker. Mr. Alfred Duffy acts as reader to the blind and those who forgot to learn reading in their youthful days, and to listen to Alf in his masterly manner reading some of those thrilling engagements, makes one almost imagine you feel a piece of the cold steel or the sting of lead pass through you.

Such excitement does not tend to build up the business man’s position much and especially when the traveller comes along. He’s full of advice, imploring his customer to buy, as everything is on the rise, and some things are going to be unobtainable, even the representative of Tooth’s brewery was here yesterday suffering from the same complaint, and is stating that hotelkeepers should lay in a big stock of beer, as it is also on the rise, as the Government is certain to impose an additional duty. So with all these things staring us in the face the quiet little seaside resort is not without its worries.   5/9/1914

APOLOGY – Referring to certain language used by me to Mr. Arthur Russell of Moruya in Vulcan Street Moruya on 22nd August Inst., I withdraw unreservedly, everything that I said as I knew at the time of using such language that the words used were not true, and I am very sorry indeed that I so far forgot myself as to have behaved in such a way to a person who ever since I knew him, has been strictly honourable in all his dealings.   C.R. STUBB, Moruya         5/9/1914

Vulcan Street  - here words were exchanged between

Vulcan Street – here words were exchanged between Mr Stubbs and Mr Russell

Sixteen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1913 are available ($5 ea) from the society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Pioneer Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (mdhs.org.au).

Ford700

NEWSFLASH – Eurobodalla Shire has best roads – August 29, 1914

AAA_ME Banner
Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of this time in 1914, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:

OUR ROADS – With the permanent establishment of the motor car conveyance of passengers, and in many cases mails, the public naturally expect to see our main roads kept in first-class order, more especially the South Coast road from the terminus of the railway at Bomaderry, particularly so in and around Nowra and on to Milton, where the hum of the car is almost continually heard. Such unfortunately is not the case, but far from it. The road from Bomaderry to the Nowra bridge – which the writer last week was bumped over – is in a most disgraceful condition and is likely to remain so for some extended time unless those who have control of it succeed in an application made to the Government for a special grant.

Ford

Mr and Mrs GH James of Lynwood, Moruya (cnr Campbell and Evans St) owned the first Ford on the South Coast. Mr James also owned the district’s first Triumph motorcycle ( 1911).

For a town of the importance of Nowra its main street is a disgrace to the alderman who control it. The main road leading out of town toward Milton could be vastly improved also. It is the road from Ulladulla towards Termeil, under the control of the Clyde Shire, however, which takes the cake as the champion bad road of the South Coast. With its fine portable stone breaker the Council should render first aid to this portion and thereby save itself from the daily anathemas of drivers and passengers alike. On leaving the Clyde Shire and entering upon the Eurobodalla Shire road a marked change for the better is most noticeable and our Councillors and Engineer become the recipients of many blessings. 29/8/1914

Early Bega

Early Bega

SUCCESSFUL DAIRYING – Mr. J.R. Milne, who hails from the “Pines” dairy, Bega, where his success with the bovines made his name a household word amongst dairymen promises to out-do his Southern reputation on his own rich property at Mullenderree. Mr. Milne, like Mr. R. Heffernan and Sons of Yarragee, believes in breeding and keeping nothing but the best milking stock, and by doing so he now delivers to the factory 113 gallons from over 40 cows which is considerably over 2 ½ gallons per cow. Such a return must be considered highly satisfactory at the close of the winter, and places Mr. Milne top supplier at the local Factory. 29/8/1914

TELEGRAPHIC NEWS (From our Sydney Correspondent). – 1500,000 of the best German troops were hurled against the British in fighting at Mons on Monday. The British artillery fire was deadly, the Germans being driven back. The British showed marked superiority in their bayonet charges. The resistance by the British had a great moral effect on the whole of the French line. If the allies left had been turned the retreat might easily have been turned into a rout. There was great difficulty in holding the British from pursuing the retiring Germans. The order of the General for withdrawal irritated the British but they showed coolness and steadiness in retreat…

The German Attack at Nimy Bridge on 23rd August 1914

The German attack at Nimy Bridge on 23rd August 1914

3g11189u-1066The methods employed by the Germans in Zeppelin raids is to make the airship hover and outrange gun fire, then to lower a man in a bullet-proof cage by a two or three thousand feet wire, the man then releases the bombs. 29/8/1914

 

Sixteen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1913 are available ($5 ea) from the society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Pioneer Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (mdhs.org.au).

Pilot Station, Moruya c.1917

JOHN ROSS – MORUYA’S FIRST PILOT AND HARBOUR MASTER

Stand at the North Head breakwall and look across to the other shore. Up on the hill you will see the Pilot Station of the Moruya River. There has been a station in this spot since 1860, when a Pilot and Harbour Master was first appointed.

Looking downstream towards Moruya Heads. The pilot station can be seen on the south head

Looking downstream towards Moruya Heads. The pilot station can be seen on the south head

The first Pilot was John Ross. He was born in Scotland in 1805, went to sea at an early age, became an experienced seaman and navigator, received his ship’s master certification in 1847, and sailed the world. In 1860, he came to Moruya and remained in this post until he died in 1871. His letters and log book give a picture of life in the 1860s, of river navigation, of ships and cargos, and of difficulties in setting up the Station.

Why did the Moruya River need a Pilot?
Moruya had a large amount of farm produce for export to Sydney, especially wheat and potatoes. Moruya potatoes were highly sought after in Sydney. In fact about 90% of Sydney’s potatoes came from this area.

“Tuesday 12th February 1861 Sailed for Sydney the Schooner Woodpecker, Watson, Master, with cargo of produce consisting of 27 Tons potatos 30 bags wheat and a few Hides…”

Timber and wattle bark were also exported. The gold rush was on. The roads, or tracks, were terrible and there were no bridges across the rivers. Sea transport was the only option for people and produce.

The Moruya River was treacherous and changeable. A ship’s master who thought he knew where the deep channels were would find they had moved, and his vessel would go aground on a sand bank. Frequently vessels went aground.

The Moruya River

The Moruya River

“Friday 3d May Employed Sounding on the Bar and entrance, and find a new channel over the Bar broken out by the late heavy Gales. The Sand having been washed away has exposed many rocks that was not before to be Seen…”

Ross had to develop the Pilot Station at South Head from scratch.

“Thursday 1st Nov 1860 Employed at the Boat house and cutting down trees. N.B. My hands have become so sore blistered with using the ax that I am obliged to lay by for a day.”

He made his first entry in the logbook on October 28th, 1860. Daily life at the Pilot Station began with Ross performing his Pilot duties – sounding the Bar and channel, marking the best channel, measuring the water depths, logging the wind direction and strength, piloting vessels in and out of the river, collecting pilotage fees, and assisting vessels in trouble.

“Thursday 17th Janry 1861 Wind from Eastward to North. Weather fine. Bar smooth. Fine weather. P.M. Arived from Sydney the Schooner Orient with general cargo.”

The Pilot Board in Sydney moved slowly on housing. Ross, and the Boatmen, Walter Downie and Thomas Grumley, and their families lived in tents at South Head longer than they had hoped.

“18th Janry 1861 We are anxiously looking for some move being made with regaurd to the erection of our houses, before the wet and cold weather set in again. During the last heavy rains we suffered considerably…”

In July Ross responded to house plans sent by the Pilot Board in Sydney,

“I notice that the Building is 20 x 20 [feet], divided into three apartments…All the Members of the present establishment have families, and consist of eleven souls, with a prospect of that number being soon increased.”

The Pilot’s house was completed in October 1861, but the Boatmen’s cottages were not ready until March 1864. By then their tents had been blown to pieces in a gale.

Pilot Station, Moruya c.1917

Pilot Station, Moruya c.1917

Staff problems arose. Thomas Grumley’s pigs running rampant at the Station caused much concern. Finally in September 1862,

“Having waited some three weeks for your compliance with my order to Shut up your Pigs without any notice taken thereof I must consider the order disobeyed….You are therefore suspended from duty and pay for 15 days from this date…”

Every Sunday, Ross

“corrected our time from altitude of the Sun, and read devine Service to my family and those who chouse to attend in my tent.”

And several times a week he rowed down the river to the town to pick up the mail.

There is more to be said about later years in another article.

A copy of the original letters and log of John Ross is available at the Moruya District Historical Society Museum, Campbell St. Moruya. Copies were purchased with a grant from the Australian Maritime Museum.

CollageIt

Moruya and District AGM Report

The Annual General Meeting of the Moruya and District Historical Society took place on Wednesday, 13 August. As well as the election of committee members for the 2014-2015 year, three resolutions were discussed and voted upon.

RESOLUTIONS

A .Special Resolution (Proposed Brian Harris/ Seconded Christine Adams)

It is proposed that the term of office bearers and committee members of Moruya and District Historical Society be limited to 3 years IN The SAME ROLE, with an option for a further two in the case of the President and the Curator SHOULD IT BE DEEMED NECESSARY by the management committee

This resolution was not passed. While it received the majority of the vote, it did not receive 75% of the vote necessary to pass a special resolution.

B. Ordinary Resolution 1 (Proposed Wendy Simes/ Seconded Janene Love)

It is proposed to hold our general meetings every second month instead of every month. Meetings would be in February, April, June, August, October and December

This resolution was not passed.

C. Ordinary Resolution 2 (Proposed Brian Harris/ Seconded Christine Adams)

It is proposed that the all General and Annual General Meeting times of Moruya and District Historical Society be on a Saturday to allow more members who are working to attend.

This resolution was passed
Meetings will now be held on Saturdays. Initial meetings will be held at 2pm for a trial period.

ELECTION OF MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE 2014 – 2015

President                            Michael Gold (2006 -)
Vice President                    Janene Love (2006 – )
Treasurer                            James Henningham(2014 – )
Secretary                             Huon Hassall (2014 – )
Public Officer                     Janene Love ( 2011 – )
Committeee member      Wendy Simes (2006 – )
Committee member         Christine Adams (2014 – )
Committee member         Brian Harris (2014 – )

Please note that the year in brackets indicate the beginning of tenure in the current role.

A letter written to Captain Hutching's son who was in Egypt.

Red Cross Ladies 1 – ‘The Bay’ Men 0

Blog_Jan14Header

Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of this time in 1914, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:

GOOD RANGE – Captain F. Hutchings, of the Bergalia Rifle Club, informs us that their range is considered to be one of the best outside Randwick. It is comprised of four targets and has the very latest telephone installed, communications with the marker being available from all ranges. 22/8/1914

A letter written to Captain Hutching's son who was in Egypt.

A letter written to Captain Hutching’s son – Herbert Frederick Hutchings  – who first served in the Light Horse.

BODALLA (From our Correspondent) – A meeting of the women of Bodalla was held on Wednesday at 11.15 a.m. There was a large and representative gathering of ladies and their daughters, Mrs. Hutchison being elected to the chair. Mrs. Hutchison, in addressing the meeting said: -

“Ladies, we are called together here to decide the best way of raising money for the Red Cross, which is a society formed to provide medical necessaries and hospital comforts for our men should they be needed (which we hope not). In this sad time of war our men are going to the front, and we all know that such a person requires more comforts and feels climatic changes than when in health, and although we may not have any of our own going we, as wives and mothers, feel we would like to do something in preserving the lives of other women’s best beloved.”

Mrs. Hutchison was elected president, Miss Mort secretary and Nurse Salter treasurer. It was decided to make a house to house collection …22/8/1914

Red Cross donation box . this artefact is featured in our current exhibition.

Red Cross donation box . this artefact is featured in our current exhibition.

RED CROSS APPEAL. A PLEA FOR HASTE – In Australia a Red Cross Society has been sanctioned to assist the military authorities of the Commonwealth in the defence of the Empire, and to relieve and benefit our men who are serving with the expeditionary forces.

The Red Cross Society is urgently wanted, not only to meet the needs of this grave crisis, when the Empire is in danger, but to provide a permanent and efficient organisation which in times of peace will make careful preparation, and in times of war and stress will be ready to give immediate assistance…

It is notified that those who are preparing soldiers’ bags and hospital bags should complete them as quickly as possible. It is urgently necessary that as many as possible of these bags should be made available at once…

Australian support for the Red Cross during World War 1

Australian support for the Red Cross during World War 1

The soldiers’ bag for use in military hospitals will be in a new but washed pillow-case, containing the following articles. End to be stitched up and the list of contents sewn on the outside on a piece of calico: – Two flannel shirts, large, to be washed; two pyjamas, strong, large, to be washed; two colored handkerchiefs, to be washed; two pairs large socks, to be washed; one reel cotton, white; one reel cotton, black (No 20); one packet No. 4 needles; two black lead pencils (not indelible); one letter pad, envelopes, pen and nibs.

The hospital bag will be a new but washed pillow-case containing the following articles: – Six large collar studs, two pens and nibs, two medicine glasses, one ½ -minute thermometer, two enamel basins, one kidney tray, one reel self-colored thread (strong). One of these bags to every 50 soldiers’ bags sent from any one centre. 22/8/1914

BATEMAN’S BAY (From our Correspondent) – The Bateman’s Bay attempt to raise a team of soldiers proved a failure.
Raynor Bros. mill has stopped work; the spoke factory has stopped also; the cows are all going dry and the fish won’t bite, so needless to say we are all in a pretty bad way. 22/8/1914

Sixteen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1913 are available ($5 ea) from the society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Pioneer Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (mdhs.org.au).

photo 2

Scan The Clan – Saturday, 23 August.

Don’t forget to Scan Your Clan – or just your Nan – at Moruya and District Historical Society this Saturday. Simply bring those precious old family photos and a memory stick and we will scan the the photos onto the stick for you.

You will take home the original images and the scanned version. We simply ask that we keep a scanned copy of your image in our photographic archives. This will help us expand the archive by adding more images of people, places, clothing, housing, sports and events.

You are also invited to make a donation to our building fund. The fund is currently raising money towards the restoration of the Remembrance Room. All donations over $2 are tax deductible.
ScanClan_180814

20140806_124301_LLS

The district responds to the outbreak of war …and a homing pigeon

Blog_Jan14Header

Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of this time in 1914, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:

LADIES CALLED – In this issue a meeting of ladies is called for Tuesday next at 3 p.m., in the “Town Hall” (old Council Chambers) for the purpose of forming a helpers’ branch of the Red Cross Society in this district. Help in this national crisis is forthcoming from almost every town in the Commonwealth, and we are sure the ladies of Moruya will not fail to add their quota. This is an opportunity that every patriotic woman here, young and old, should avail themselves of to assist the British soldiers on active service by preparing clothing and comforts for them. 15/8/1914

Red Cross donation box . this artefact is featured in our current exhibition.

Red Cross donation box . this artefact is featured in our current exhibition.

The men and boys of 'the Bay' didn't seem quite so keen to buy a ticket to war.

The men and boys of ‘the Bay’ didn’t seem quite so keen to buy a ticket to war.

BATEMAN’S BAY NEWS – The whole topic of conversation in the Bay is the war, Lieutenant Maloney is trying his best to master a squadron, but the class of men that is required seem to hesitate a good deal. They don’t evince any eagerness to join. It is supposed that if there was no talk of war a large body of brave volunteers would be offering. The thought of the air being adulterated with lead causes them to think they are safer amongst the blackbutts and ironbarks of the South Coast. 15/8/1914

REPORT TO POLICE – Mr. Millen made the announcement on Monday that all German subjects in Australia are required to at once report to the police, and to give their names and addresses. If desiring to change their place of residence they must notify the police before leaving, and must again report on arriving at the new place of residence. All German reservists are held as prisoners of war and released on parole. 15/8/1914

RegistrationofAliens

HOMING PIGEON – On Monday last a homing pigeon arrived at Mr. J. Green’s residence, Mantle Hill. On the bird’s leg was a ring marked as follows: W.P.H.S. 162, 1913. 15/8/1914

NEW BRANCH– On Sunday last Mr. R.B. Heffernan, Vice-President, and Mr. J. McKeon, Secretary, accompanied by a number of other members of the Moruya branch of the Catholic Federation journeyed to Narooma in one of Balmain’s special motors for the purpose of forming a branch of the Federation in that charming seaport town. After receiving a cordial welcome by the warm-hearted Narooma folk, the visitors adjourned to Lynch’s Hall where a large and most enthusiastic meeting was held, members of other denominations being also present. The Rev. Father O’Connell, in the absence of the President, Very Rev. Father Cassidy, occupied the chair, and Mr. R.B. Heffernan, in a very lucid and eloquent speech explained the aims and methods of the organisation. Mr. P. Flynn, (Moruya), then ably and effectively addressed the meeting, laying particular emphasis on the fact that the object was non-political….The large audience gave close attention to the speakers’ remarks, and at the termination of the addresses a motion by Mr. J. Hyland, seconded by Mr. J. Lynch for the formation of a branch was then unanimously carried…15/8/1914

Father Cassidy of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Moruya

Father Cassidy of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Moruya

Sixteen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1913 are available ($5 ea) from the society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Pioneer Museum in Campbell St. Moruya  – http.www.mdhs.org.au).